Monday, September 24, 2012

Homemade Coffee Creamer


A couple weeks ago my best friend and her family were over for dinner.  I had asked her about her success with her weight loss.  Which then turned in to a discussion about reduced fat or fat free products and their additives vs. whole foods just less and more exercise. 

After much consideration of what we had talked about, research about food chemicals and additives 30% of cancers can be linked to foods.  My family has decided to join the whole food real food movements.  This will not be an easy change to be made overnight.  There are a lot of things that maybe hard to give up or change.  A big hurdle for me is coffee creamer.  I have to have at least one cup of coffee in the morning or I am non functional ok usually two.  I am not a dash of milk and a spoonful of sugar kinda girl, I love flavored creamers I am partial to caramel or hazelnut.  I was not sure how I was going to jump this one.  Last week my bestie posted a link on FB to check out www.deliciouslyorganic.net and her recipes for homemade coffee creamers.  Last night I made my first batch and drank with coffee this morning loved it!!! I also tried a splash in my chi tea to make a latte.

 

1 cup heavy cream

1 cup whole milk

½ cup homemade caramel sauce

Whisk together cream milk and caramel in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  When mixture begins to stream, remove from heat.  Pour into a glass bottle and store in the fridge Shake before adding to your coffee. 

You can find the original recipe here including using cane sugar to make the caramel sauce and a couple different flavors.  She also has a page dedicated to dairy free and sugar free, not by chemicals but date paste.  For the other recipes click to recipe tab on top then under the misc heading and scroll thru to find the other coffee cream recipes. 

 

I did not have sugar cane to make my caramel and I could not wait another week to buy some so I used Ina Garten’s Caramel Sauce recipe using regular sugar. 


Directions

Mix the water and sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves. Do not stir. Increase the heat to medium and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a warm chestnut brown (about 350 degrees F on a candy thermometer), about 5 to 7 minutes, gently swirling the pan to stir the mixture. Be careful – the mixture is extremely hot! Watch the mixture very carefully at the end, as it will go from caramel to burnt very quickly. Turn off the heat. Stand back to avoid splattering and slowly add the cream and vanilla. Don't worry - the cream will bubble violently and the caramel will solidify.

Simmer over low heat; stirring constantly, until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours. It will thicken as it sits.

 

Ingredients in a commercial brand caramel coffee creamer

WATER, SUGAR, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, NATURAL AND ARTIFICAL FLAVORS, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CELLULOSE GEL, COLOR ADDED, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAGEENAN, DEXTROSE.

Ingredients in coffee creamer from deliciouslyorganic.net

Cream, milk, sugar, vanilla, water

 

No comments:

Post a Comment