Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tortellini Primavera That's Tasty MSK


Last week I got stuck at working a full shift which meant taking a lunch and I did not pack anything.  I wandered over to the frozen food section wondering what I could find that was not high calorie or high chemical content or too high sodium.  After standing there for about 10 min I settled on a tortellini primavera from a brand that is marketed as healthy.  It was surprisingly good, the portion size was a little small so I wanted to try making it at home to bump up the veggies and give it more body.  
What I came up with just as good in flavor, with twice as much vegetables and low in calorie.  I tried to use no salt added canned tomatoes but the sodium still came out high.  I will defiantly make this again this summer using my homemade diced tomatoes from my garden.

14oz can diced tomatoes basil garlic oregano flavor
14 oz can diced tomatoes no salt added
2c zucchini diced
1.5 c carrots sliced thinly in half rounds
1 med onion diced
1/2 c mushrooms chopped medium
1c spinach chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
12oz cheese tortellini whole wheat cooked according to package

In a large pan heat olive oil over med heat when hot add carrots sauté 3-5 min until just starting to turn brown.  Remove carrots to bowl and set aside.  
Return pan to heat add onion sauté 3-5 min until just starting to turn brown.  
Add tomatoes and seasoning stir to combine reduce heat to med low bring to a simmer and cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally.  
Add carrots zucchini mushrooms and spinach stir well to combine cook another 5 minutes to heat everything thru then add cooked tortellini fold in carefully. Serve immediately.

Serving size 1 cup little over
Calories 109; Calories from Fat 20; Total Fat 2.2g; Saturated Fat 1.1g; Trans Fat 0.0g; Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 733mg; Total Carbohydrates 18.8g; Dietary Fiber 2.3g; Sugars 5.0g; Protein 4.4g
Vitamin A 62%
Vitamin C 18%
Calcium 3%
Iron 17%



No comments:

Post a Comment