Thursday, May 9, 2013

Blueberry Muffins


I love blueberry muffins. I figured they were one of the casualties when I was told no flour and no sugar.  My cousin told me that spelt flour was alternative for flour in baked goods.  I picked up my first bag the other day and tonight I got out my favorite recipe and rewrote it. :-) Here is the new "healthier" version.

1 1/2 c spelt flour
3/4 c raw sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 c applesauce unsweetened
1 egg
1/3 c milk
1 c blueberries fresh or frozen**

Preheat oven to 400 f (200 C) Grease muffin tin cups or line with muffin paper
In a med size bowl combine flour sugar salt and baking powder.
In a 1 cup liquid measuring cup measure 1/3 c milk add in cracked egg whisk with a fork to combine then stir in 1/3 c applesauce.
Pour into bowl with flour mixture and mix just until moist all the way through.  Carefully fold in blueberries.  Fill each muffin up right to the top.  Bake in oven for 20-25 min until just the tops are light brown.  Allow to cool in pan for 5 min then remove to wire rack to cool completely before storage.  These are delicious warm or at room temperature.
** If using frozen berries do NOT thaw before adding to batter.  
makes 6-8 muffins depending on size of muffin tins

No comments:

Post a Comment