Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

When I was told about all my food sensitivities I lost a lot of options for breakfast.  I have been eating a lot of eggs. Thankfully we have chickens and we have a plethora of eggs available everyday.  Even I am creative I was getting tired of eggs everyday.  
A few weeks ago my cousin was visiting and I was picking her brain about food sensitivities, 3 of her children have some of the same ones I have, she mentioned that quinoa is a really good breakfast food.  I was excited to give this a try. 
 This past weekend I picked some quinoa up at the grocery store.  Yesterday I did not have to eat breakfast on the fly and had time to tinker around with a recipe.  I went to the web for some inspiration and found that you can treat it like oatmeal.  I came up with a recipe similar to an banana oatmeal.  I made it up and took my first big bite. Yuk I did not know that I was supposed to wash quinoa repeatedly before cooking! 
I retried this morning rinsing my quinoa four times.  The dish was great and even my littlest guy liked it too.  Today I made it with bananas tomorrow I think I will try blueberries and peaches.

1/2 dry quinoa rinsed in cool water changing the water at least 4 time. 
1/2 c water
1/4 c  milk
1/2 tsp Cinnamon 
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbl maple syrup 100% pure or honey 
pinch of salt
1 banana sliced 
1/2 c pecans optional


Combine quinoa, water, milk, cinnamon, vanilla,maple syrup and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
Pour quinoa into 2 bowls then cover with bananas, pecans, and a few extra drizzles of milk.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 
1 serving (207.9 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
257
Calories from Fat 
28
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
3.1g
5%
Saturated Fat 
0.7g
3%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
2mg
1%
Sodium 
165mg
7%
Total Carbohydrates 
49.0g
16%
Dietary Fiber 
5.5g
22%
Sugars 
18.3g
Protein 
7.5g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 27%
Calcium 4%Iron 55%



2 comments:


  1. Andro Testo Pro The most common cause of erectile dysfunction is a blockage of blood flow. Your doctor will usually prescribe you some form of medication to treat it initially. If that doesn't work, you may be looking at surgery. The best thing you can do right now is get some exercise and eat a healthy diet. By doing this consistently, you can see a big improvement within two weeks.

    http://tiny.cc/AndroTestoPro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anti Aging Cream appears to be garden variety. Where do we start? Let's start our Skin Cream adventure. It would make a lot of sense if I would simply try to avoid it anyway. They seem to have an impressive ability to use Instalift Serum UK because I have chosen to surround myself with Skin Serum late arrivals. They have a suitable Anti Aging Cream. I wasn't given any opportunity to detail that concerning Skin Serum. I don't want you to buy the farm when you do it.

    ReplyDelete