Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

When I was told about all my food sensitivities I lost a lot of options for breakfast.  I have been eating a lot of eggs. Thankfully we have chickens and we have a plethora of eggs available everyday.  Even I am creative I was getting tired of eggs everyday.  
A few weeks ago my cousin was visiting and I was picking her brain about food sensitivities, 3 of her children have some of the same ones I have, she mentioned that quinoa is a really good breakfast food.  I was excited to give this a try. 
 This past weekend I picked some quinoa up at the grocery store.  Yesterday I did not have to eat breakfast on the fly and had time to tinker around with a recipe.  I went to the web for some inspiration and found that you can treat it like oatmeal.  I came up with a recipe similar to an banana oatmeal.  I made it up and took my first big bite. Yuk I did not know that I was supposed to wash quinoa repeatedly before cooking! 
I retried this morning rinsing my quinoa four times.  The dish was great and even my littlest guy liked it too.  Today I made it with bananas tomorrow I think I will try blueberries and peaches.

1/2 dry quinoa rinsed in cool water changing the water at least 4 time. 
1/2 c water
1/4 c  milk
1/2 tsp Cinnamon 
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbl maple syrup 100% pure or honey 
pinch of salt
1 banana sliced 
1/2 c pecans optional


Combine quinoa, water, milk, cinnamon, vanilla,maple syrup and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
Pour quinoa into 2 bowls then cover with bananas, pecans, and a few extra drizzles of milk.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 
1 serving (207.9 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
257
Calories from Fat 
28
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
3.1g
5%
Saturated Fat 
0.7g
3%
Trans Fat 
0.0g
Cholesterol 
2mg
1%
Sodium 
165mg
7%
Total Carbohydrates 
49.0g
16%
Dietary Fiber 
5.5g
22%
Sugars 
18.3g
Protein 
7.5g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 27%
Calcium 4%Iron 55%



No comments:

Post a Comment