Monday, November 25, 2013

Sweet Potato Bake

I am typically I am not a fan of sweet potatoes all gussied up.  I like them roasted, split open, and covered in butter and not much else maybe a tiny bit of brown sugar.  Or just pan fried with a little chipotle powder but I have never made them  in the traditional baked casserole way.  But for tradition sakes this year I thought I would try them.  I am so glad I did this will go in the usual rotation of Thanksgiving and everyday meals.Now this was the last recipe I made yesterday and I again forgot to take pictures sorry.  Thankfully Pioneer Woman whom I got the recipe from has photos of all her recipes over on her blog which you can check out over here.  If you can go without your eyes tantalized before making a recipe here is recipe. In the original recipe she calls for 1 cup of sugar I cut it down to 1/2 cup and thankful I did so it was not sickly sweet.

  • 4 whole Medium Sweet Potatoes
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 cup Pecans
  • ½ cups Flour
  • ¾ sticks Butter

Preparation Instructions

Wash 4 medium sweet potatoes and bake them in a 375-degree oven until fork tender, about 30-35 minutes. When they are finished cooking slice them open and scrape out the flesh into a large bowl.
Add 1 cup of (regular granulated) sugar, 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of salt. With a potato masher, mash them up just enough—you don’t want to be perfectly smooth.
Now, in a separate bowl, add 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup pecans, chopped (that means measure a cup of pecans, then chop them), ½ cup flour, and ¾ stick of butter. With a pastry cutter or fork, mash together until thoroughly combined.
Spread the sweet potato mixture into a regular baking dish and sprinkle the crumb mixture all over the top.
Bake in a 400-degree oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment